Sunday, May 24, 2009

Brooklyn, a bookstore and a birthday

Spent a few days last week with my awesome Brooklyn cousins: Susie, Bernardo, Lizzie and Julia who live in a very cool brownstone in Park Slope . Sue was my little cousin and I used to babysit for her years ago. My intention was to be with her while she finished up her last chemo treatment. Turned out she couldn't have the chemo while I was there so instead I got to spend time with her getting to know her as an adult. And a little of Brooklyn.

In Mid-Town Thursday Sue and I had tapas for lunch at La Fonda del Sol. When I was in high school a restaurant by that name was a favorite site for Sweet 16 parties. Don't know if this is the same place but just the name ignited memories.

WOBs loves the diversity and liveliness of Park Slope. It's home-y and exciting at the same time. As someone not used to 7th Avenue, I had trouble keeping my eyes on where I was going, instead of swiveling my head at every window. It swiveled when Sue took me to Stitch Therapy and kept swiveling in Union Market where we bought uncured hot dogs for dinner.

Wish I had taken a pic of the rhododendron opening its head in front of Sue's front stoop. It's actually her neighbor's but due to its location she gets to follow its progress daily.


Friday Sue introduced me to another Brooklyn neighborhood: Williamsburg. We had breakfast for lunch at Egg, inserted into a former garage space and oh so tasty! Then we walked to the water where construction seems unabated on huge condominium developments. Is the area overbuilt? Time will tell.

Got to drag Roxy the Maltese on a walk to the cleaners and after getting her home - and giving her way too many treats - I wandered to Starbucks and the Community Book Store which is just the perfect size and layout.

Julia, 13, made homemade Roti as part of dinner. Very delicious and impressive!

On Saturday I subwayed to Manhattan to spend a wonderful day with my Aunt Rachel (Sue's mother); like two adults we walked around Chelsea Market and Himalayan art at the Rubin Museum of Art. I think it was the first time she and I have spent time alone since she took me to get my hair done for the Prom.


Back to Western New York on Sunday morning for Mr. WOBs' birthday. Here's what I gave him



You can find more art that celebrates the "miracle of the mundane" on Anne Elizabeth Schlegel's website. And you can subscribe to her blog and see a new one everyday.

Enjoy!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At May 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM , Blogger Joey said...

Did he like the painting? Doing well here in SD and decided to take a look at your new blog. Nice work! Love you

P.S. I didnt know the Bisons changed their logo to a weird Mets clone! This explains their new terribleness.

 
At May 31, 2009 at 3:41 PM , Blogger avenue a said...

He liked the painting and put it on the wall beneath the loft.

Thanks for the comment.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home